A 5K is the perfect race for beginners and is surprisingly easy to prepare for.
Here are five reasons you should conquer yours;
- Everyone is welcome. The beauty of the 5K is that it’s totally doable for people of all ages and running levels. Even if your idea of regular exercise is a good brisk sit, you can probably manage a 5K.
- It’s short. Both the distance of the race and the commitment you need to put into training is fairly limited. Even if you’ve never run farther than around the house, working up to just over 3 miles is relatively easy.
- You can go at your own pace. If you’re nervous about having to run the whole distance without stopping, remember that you’ve gotta walk before you can run. Try a 5K fun run and walk with the mums & buggies at the back for a while- everyone really is welcome!
- It’s easy to stay on track. Whether you want to train solo or with a group, there are so many ways to get the job done. If you want to run on your own, try following a basic 5K training plan or download a training app. Need extra motivation? Try joining a program or running group like your local Park Run. You can gain the help of a coach and accountability from fellow runners.
- It’s just the beginning. Once you have achieved your first 5K, you’ll probably be hooked. Whether you keep training to shave time off your next 5K or head for a half marathon, the foundation you’ll build on this seemingly short race will carry you far.